Apr 18, 2012

Physical Therapy

It has been a couple of days since I have been here.  I apologize, school is taking up allot of time as we close down another semester.  I have been deep in thought through the time of school work and my daily life this week.  My thoughts have been centered around physical therapy for Sam.  Since not being as sick from this last UTI, as she is on the mend, we are seeing some large improvements on her strength.  Sam doesn't seem to need quiet as much assistance in her daily movements as she did a few weeks ago.  I personally think this is from the physical therapy starting back up but, I do also see how badly she hurts afterwards.  In MSA and other movement disorders, the muscles begin to get rigid and atrophy causing movement to be stiff and painful.  I know physical therapy has to be, but there does seem to me that there has to be another answer.  I have been thinking about water therapy, take the weight off of her joints while being able to move with the light resistance of the water to work against her just enough to maybe loosen and strengthen the muscles and joints.  I too have been wanting to do something like this as I have started aging (should I say my body has, my mind refuses to admit it).  My joints hurt and I am mobile...so, I think this weeks challenge will be to possibly go to the local YMCA with Sam and see what the cost is and good times that might work.  Maybe there is a water aerobics beginner class that we can hang out in the back line and do a lighter version of.  We will have to keep you posted.  Next up though is follow up with a pain management center on Tuesday and again with the neurologist on Wednesday.  We are looking forward to seeing about other options.

2 comments:

  1. You mentioned school and I perked up. I was in the public schools for 30 years until MSA forced me to retire at 51. I was a teacher, principal and assistant superintendent.

    Looking forward to hearing about the trip to the zoo. Thanks for more interesting posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome about you being a teacher. That is one of the most underpaid, under appreciated job that is so critical to our children's futures. Teachers are very special people. I have a daughter that is an elementary teacher in Kansas and another that is a pre-K teacher in Texas and she is still in school to continue on the path to becoming an elementary teacher. I myself am a student, my first time in college. I am a pre-nursing student, completing my first year of a long road to my RN degree. I hope to one day be able to be an educated voice in the health professional world on the subject of MSA and other movement diseases. It has not been easy taking care of my family and going to school full time at my age while still trying to be all I can be for Sam but Sam is who has inspired me to finally figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up! :o) Again, thank you for all of your wonderful years of helping to form our future through the children.

    ReplyDelete